Monday, March 5, 2012

Meet HRD Mondays!

It's Monday! That means it's the time of the week for YOU to meet the many faces of HRD and learn a little about the skaters you want to cheer for in 2012!

This Monday, check out Grande Locolicious, Big Bad VooDoo Dollie and Dr. Shocktopus!


Name   Grande Locolicious
Number  2sm
Team  The Brawlers, The Knockouts
Position  Blocker
Years Played  1 season
Height5'1"
Occupation7th Grade Reading Teacher
How did you get into derby? I first read about Houston Roller Derby in the Houston Press back in 2005. I was interested in going to a game and had thoughts about trying out, but I was too afraid. It wasn't until May 2010 that my boyfriend and I attended a game at Kicks. It was great to see these amazing female skaters playing a sport that was so competitive and fun. After that night, I knew I wanted in. I attended Rec. League the following Tuesday and enjoyed it. I tried out shortly after that and made the league. I was drafted into The Brawlers in July of 2010.
How did you pick your derby name? My biggest fan, my boyfriend, actually came up with my name. He teases me about being crazy because I’m a woman, but yet he says he finds me attractive. So he came up with “Locolicious.” I wanted to add a second name that related to my size. We came up with “Grande,” the complete opposite of my size, but I liked it. I go by “Grande” on the track. I’m stuck in a 2sm body but have a Grande heart for the game!
Likes I enjoy traveling, working out, spending time outdoors, and eating every type of food. My favorite is Italian, Sushi and Popcorn and Pickles!
Dislikes I dislike people that hog up all the weights at the gym and people that talk on their phone while working out. I don’t like beer.
Favorite thing about derby I love being part of a fantastic, hard working league and great home-team. These awesome ladies push you in a positive way to reach your potential. Although there is still so much I need to learn and work on, I love the confidence this sport has given me.
Fun Facts I've done over 8 tandem skydives and one solo jump. When I was 4 years old, I fell out of a moving vehicle and only had a few scratches on me. I can do 320 lbs on the Angle Leg Press Machine.



Name Big Bad VooDoo Dollie
Number 9 pins
Team  Bayou City Bosses, The Houston All-Stars
Position  Jammer / Blocker
Years Played 5 years counting ref years, going 3years skating on a team
Height  5'0"
How did you get into derby? I saw a billboard in New Orleans and when I moved here I thought it would be a fun, empowering sport that I could met people from.
How did you pick your derby name? I picked my name from the band the Big Bad VooDoo Daddy's. I like having the little touch of New Orleans in there and I like that big bass swing music.
Likes I love art, Pearl Bailey, the velvet underground, horror pops, etc. Niko Niko's (gyros yum), coffee, etc.
Dislikes Rude people, tomatoes, and orange juice.
Favorite thing about derby Family and feeling like u r a part of something.
Fun Facts I can ride a unicycle!



Name Dr. Shocktopus
Number   8
Team  Psych Ward Sirens
Position  Blocker
Years Played   Rookie
Height  5'6"
Occupation Postdoctoral Research Associate in Biological Oceanography
How did you get into derby? My boyfriend took me to my first bout in 2008. An HRD team was playing an Austin team. Houston was down by 14 points with only one jam left in the game. Death By Chocolate had 3 grand slams to win it for Houston. After that, I was hooked. When I moved here last summer I immediately joined HRD.
Likes Octopuses (octopuses, octopi and octopods are all correct plural forms), craft beer, any food made from pigs, science, math.
Dislikes squid (unless fried), hippies
Favorite thing about derby The camaraderie among strong women.
Fun Facts I'm an oceanographer that gets seasick and doesn't like eating most seafood.  And no, it's not because I feel like I have to save them.


Tune in next Monday to see our next set of featured skaters for the week!
Less than two weeks left before 2012 our season opener bout at Bayou Music Center (aka Verizon Wireless Theater) Saturday, March 17! Come see our All-Stars take on Dallas, TX’s Assassination City Roller Derby Special Ops before watching the 2011 championship rematch game featuring the Psych Ward Sirens vs. the Bayou City Bosses! Have you bought your tickets yet? Go get them now!
Get Your March 17 Bout Tickets Right Now at Our Website!



♥ Houston Roller Derby ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...