Monday, February 27, 2012

Meet HRD Mondays!

It's Monday! That means it's the time of the week for YOU to meet the many faces of HRD and learn a little about the skaters you want to cheer for in 2012!

This Monday, check out Shocker Zulu, Dirty Diana and The Prosecutor!


Name Shocker Zulu
Number 2-1
Team Bayou City Bosses, The Knockouts
Position Blocker
Years Played This will be my second season with HRD
Height In heels 5'7"
How did you get into derby? I used to watch that awesomely cheesy show Rock and Roller Games in the 80's and I wanted to be one of those derby players so bad! So when I saw the commercial for Whip It and saw derby was back (and REAL) I Googled roller derby and up popped HRD!
How did you pick your derby name? I wanted to have a female warrior's name, in particular someone from Africa. I couldn't find any females so I chose Shaka Zulu the most badass African warrior ever.
Likes I like shiny things. I love shoes - especially high heels. Apple pie is my favorite dessert. Love disco and 80's music, WWE wrestling, St. Louis Cardinals, musicals, and cheesy dance movies. Yay, Footloose!
Dislikes I don't like pecans or birds. Pecans taste gross and birds just are gross. Narrow-minded people, ugly "serviceable" shoes, math or the color orange. Love romance novels, but generally despise romantic comedies. Go figure.
Favorite thing about derby Being with my teammates! We have fun when we're at practice or hanging out together. I love that feeling of coming off the track after a jam and knowing that my pack did our job against the other team. And I really enjoy thinking about what goes into playing the sport - makes my mind work!
Fun Facts Including steps and half-siblings, I have 24 brothers and sisters. I lived most of my life in St. Louis, but I've never been up in the Gateway Arch. I'm distantly related to Rock and Roll legend, Chuck Berry.


Name Dirty Diana
Number 213
Team The Valkyries
Position Likely Jammer
Years Played .1 (Rookie)
Height 5'0"
Occupation Until recently, Tour Manager/ Mobile Marketing - Don't know now... had to quit to play Derby. Too much travel.
How did you get into derby? I was a street skater for over a decade in L.A. I just missed out on old style sensational Derby which I might have played if I was a few years older. When I moved to Houston my husband saw the rec league advertised and thought it might be a good match for me since he had heard me talk so much about how much I loved skating on quads, and how I never quite came to terms with the whole rollerblades business. I started with rec in the early days when there were only about 7 of us skating around without a lot of direction.
How did you pick your derby name? I was having a hard time coming up with one in Rec. Our speed coach just took to calling me "Derby Diana." I couldn't abide the Derby part... it seemed awkward to have Derby in my name so I went with Dirty Diana. I had every intention of coming up with something else "officially," but it grew on me. Also, that song is from my era so it fits in that way too.
Likes I really like good beer and IPA's in particular. Also, cake.
Dislikes I know better than to divulge to the Derby community what I don't like. Otherwise, whatever it is, I'll be subjected to it all the time!
Favorite thing about derby Right now, it's the opportunity to push myself hard to improve. The league and team practices are so well coached and I am getting so much out of them. There's really nowhere to go but up since I am brand new and need to learn, well, everything. Hopefully in a few months time this answer will be more interesting.
Fun Facts I used to sell candy to the Hillside Strangler.


Name The Prosecutor
Number 35
Team The Brawlers, The Houston All-Stars
Position Blocker
Years Played 7 years (Since 2005)
Height 5'10"
Occupation Attorney
How did you get into derby? I am one of the founding members of the league
who went to my first practice on January 23, 2005.
Once someone explained that we were full contact on skates, I was hooked.
How did you pick your derby name? My derby name came from my legal side with my job.
Favorite thing about derby It is a great female sport! I love the camaraderie, competition and friendship.
Fun Facts I am not actually a prosecutor.
I am a civil trial attorney in private
practice.




Tune in next Monday to see our next set of featured skaters for the week!
Only three weeks left before 2012 our season opener bout at Bayou Place Live (aka Verizon Wireless Theater) Saturday, March 17! Come see our All-Stars take on Dallas, TX’s Assassination City Roller Derby Special Ops before watching the 2011 championship rematch game featuring the Psych Ward Sirens vs. the Bayou City Bosses! Have you bought your tickets yet? Go get them now!
Get Your March 17 Bout Tickets Right Now at Our Website!



♥ Houston Roller Derby ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...