Monday, August 6, 2012

Meet HRD Mondays!



It's Monday! That means it's the time of the week for YOU to meet the many faces of HRD and learn a little about the skaters you want to cheer for in 2012!

This Monday, check out Misfits and Blown Apart!



Name Misfits
Number 3.14
Team The Brawlers
Position Hopeful jammer/blocker
Years Played Two years on rec league, this is my rookie season with The Brawlers.
Height My driver's license says 5'7"
Occupation Nursing tech
How did you get into derby? Some friends told me that they could totally see me doing something like derby, but I was too chicken to join by myself so I showed up to rec league with my sister-in-law and loved it ever since.
How did you pick your derby name? I didn't choose my name, Rushin Cleavage (rec league trainer) did. In rec, everyone was supposed to have their names on their shirts or helmets, but I didn't. I just wore a misfits shirt to like every practice because i wanted to look tough. and during training exercises and pack work drills, Rush just yelled out "MISFITS!" and I knew he was talking to me. So now my name is Misfits and I couldn't get rid of it even if I wanted to.
Likes I really like weirding people out.
Dislikes I really don't like when people chew gum all loud and talk while doing so. It’s like nails on a chalkboard.
Favorite thing about derby The people and the game. Constantly learning new things and improving on skills and working as a team. It’s an incredible community.
Fun Facts The only bone I’ve ever really broken in my entire body was my maxilla in my face. I broke my face bone in a mosh pit.



Name Blown Apart
Number 1769
Team Fresh Meat Skater (soon to be drafted)
Position Blocker/Pivot/Jammer (haven't established a specific position yet!)
Years Played I started in HRD's recreational league in September 2011 and I made fresh meat in April 2012.
Height 5'1"
Occupation Psychology student at the University of Houston
How did you get into derby? About six years ago, I was surfing the net for interesting things to do in Houston. I stumbled onto the HRD website and was fascinated. I had never heard of roller derby before and since I liked skating so much, I decided that I'd wait until I was old enough to take the dive.
How did you pick your derby name? When I was a sophomore in high school, I became really interested in the Napoleon Bonaparte and the Napoleonic Wars. We played a trivia game in my history class one day and I decided to name my team "Bonaparte." A girl on the other team taunted, "you're gonna get blown apart, Bonaparte!" It stuck. That, and Sideshow Bob makes a similar joke in an old Simpsons episode where he tries to blow up Krusty.
Likes Ancient history, Pepsi, fountain pens, recycling, Hawaiian pizza, hamsters, postcards, nature, miniatures, multiples of five.
Dislikes Litter bugs, jaywalkers, bad drivers, slow walkers, tomato paste.
Favorite thing about derby If I had to choose only one thing, it would be how tight-knit it is and how supportive the skaters are. No lie, I have made more amazing friends through derby in seven months than I have at college in two years. My personal derby motto is, "why join a sorority when you can join a roller derby league?"
Fun Facts I spent two months in a psychiatric ward when I was a senior in high school...as a student observer of course! I'm trilingual (English, Spanish, Greek). My family gave me a donkey for my 16th birthday and I named him Andrew Jackson.


Tune in next Monday to see our next set of featured skaters for the week!


Join us for our sixth bout of the season August 18!
It's the battle of the final seedings! Bayou City Bosses will be taking on The Valkyries and the Psych Ward Sirens will be up against The Brawlers. Come see who's going to make it to the Championship game! Tickets are available at our website, so go get them now!
Get Your August 18 Bout Tickets Right Now at Our Website!

Special Ticket Offer: End of summer doesn't end the fun. Houston Roller Derby invites all students to come watch our next bout Saturday, August with $13 General Admission tickets purchased day of game at the box office with valid school ID (limit 1 ticket per ID)!

After Party and Shuttle Info:
*Lucky's Pub will be offering free shuttle services to and from Bayou Music Center between 5:30-7:30 pm and 8:30-10:30 pm. The pub is about 1.1 miles away from the venue (roughly 6 minutes) in downtown Houston near Hwy 59 and Rusk St.*


Do YOU have what it takes to be a Houston Roller Derby girl? Come out and join us for our beginner boot camp tomorrow night, Tuesday, August 7! We'll teach you everything you need to know before tryouts in September - falls, stops, cross-overs, and more! Go sign up by buying your boot camp package at our website now!
Beginner Boot Camp (L1)
Cost- $100
Sessions length- 6 weeks
When- Tuesday Nights @ 7:30pm-9:30pm.
First Session will start at 7:00 to have time to fill out paperwork.
Where- Houston Indoor Sports- 221 Barren Springs Dr. Suite 15, Houston, TX 77090
All NEW skaters must go through Day 1 of beginner boot camp - skilled skaters could be promoted to Intermediate at their first class.
Get Your August 7 Beginner Boot Camp Package Right Now at Our Website!





♥ Houston Roller Derby ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...