Monday, March 12, 2012

Meet HRD Mondays!

It's Monday! That means it's the time of the week for YOU to meet the many faces of HRD and learn a little about the skaters you want to cheer for in 2012!

This Monday, check out Windigo, Grrrl Friday and Maul McCartney!


Name Windigo
Number 1491
Team The Houston All-Stars
Position Blocker, Jammer, Pivot
Years Played 5 1/2 years
Height 5'8"
Occupation Environmental engineer
How did you get into derby? I landed in Oakland in the San Francisco Bay Area over ten years ago. In the summer of 2006, a friend took me to my first bout in this rundown, roller hockey rink, on the outskirts of town near the Oakland Airport. Skaters served me beer from a keg in a souvenir cup (which I still have!) and the place was overrun with drunk punks and hipsters. I fell instantly in love with the B.ay A.rea D.erby Girls and the sport and knew I’d found my calling. Fast forward several years, I've put several WFTDA tournaments including Regional Play-Offs and Championships and a World Cup under my belt and now I skate for the Houston Roller Derby All-Stars.
How did you pick your derby name? "Wendigo" is an ancient cannibalistic demon in the oral history of my First Nation.
Likes I like Korean food, beef ribs, meatballs, moose chili, venison medallions... (oh wait, that's all food)...
Dislikes I dislike square pegs.
Favorite thing about derby The game! This is one of the most interesting, challenging sports I could have imagined ever being invented. The learning curve is infinite and steep and can never get boring. Never.
Fun Facts I am an amazing pastry chef... of kitten pie! Just kidding. No, really, I'm a great baker. It's something I've done my whole life... at least until I was old enough to play with the oven.



Name Grrrl Friday
Number 100wpm
Team Bayou City Bosses, The Knockouts
Position Jammer
Years Played 2
Height 5'3"
Occupation Reporter
How did you get into derby? I remember the first day I heard about roller derby pretty vividly. I was in my women's lit class in college in 2005 and the girl who sat in front of me handed me a flyer for a Texas Rollergirls bout. She was Barbarella of The Hustlers. I went to a TXRG bout later and cheered for her, coveting the way she and other skaters like Rice Rocket and Catastrophe moved with such grace and athletic skill. Then I moved to Galveston and found out that my brother-in-law was doing poster designs for Houston Roller Derby. I saw a few HRD bouts and became hooked. Once I moved to Houston I joined rec league and a few months later made league tryouts.
How did you pick your derby name? My derby name is based off of a 1950s phrase for the woman in the office who takes care of everything - the Girl Friday. Since I'm a reporter, I'm also a big fan of the film "His Girl Friday" which is about a female ace reporter. I play guitar and was in a band for two years, and I have a soft spot in my heart for the Riot Grrrl feminist movement and culture of the early 1990s, so the name Grrrl Friday just seemed like a perfect fit for me - the girl who takes care of business and doesn't let anything hold her back.
Likes 20+ point jams, jammer line dance-offs, rad female musicians, playing dress-up.
Dislikes Rink rash, crappy beer, shin splints, corporate buzzwords.
Favorite thing about derby The fact that it's incredibly challenging and incredibly rewarding all at the same time. It's very cyclical; for all the times that you feel like you've plateaued and that the challenges are too tough, there will be another time when you feel like the baddest-ever chola on steroids.
Fun Facts I'm a huge Doctor Who fan. I used to avoid all forms of exercise and sports and claimed that swing dancing was all I needed to stay in shape. My first-ever job was cleaning lab rat cages for a fertility drug company. I'm a big arts and theatre nerd.



Name Maul McCartney
Number 9
Team Psych Ward Sirens
Position Anywhere they put me
Years Played Rookie
Height  5'1" on a good day
Occupation Post production assistant/ digital artist/ Navy reservist
How did you get into derby? I saw a bout in person and knew I had to give it a try.
How did you pick your derby name? I'll give you three guesses for who my favorite Beatle is.
Likes The Beatles, cephalopods (cute AND delicious!), video games, nature documentaries (narrated by David Attenborough)
Dislikes ripe bananas, balloons, nature documentaries (narrated by Oprah)
Favorite thing about derby The ladies behind it all. Every single person has their own story and reason why they got into derby, but I've found that no matter what, each and every one of them has been willing to help out a derby sister. That goes from anything about skating gear to offering rides to events.
Fun Facts I have operated various types of heavy equipment: Front end loader, backhoes, forklifts, D7 dozer, HMMWV/Humvees, tractor tailors. I have a Bachelors in Media Arts & Animation.


Tune in next Monday to see our next set of featured skaters for the week!
Our season opener bout is THIS SATURDAY, March 17, at Bayou Music Center (aka Verizon Wireless Theater)! Come see our All-Stars take on Dallas, TX’s Assassination City Roller Derby Special Ops before watching the 2011 championship rematch game featuring the Psych Ward Sirens vs. the Bayou City Bosses! Have you bought your tickets yet? Go get them now! (VIP is SOLD OUT)
Get Your March 17 Bout Tickets Right Now at Our Website!
Remember, Girl Scouts in uniform get in FREE with the additional purchase of an adult ticket!
Green beer will be served at the venue to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
The after party will be at Junction Bar & Grill on West Gray!
Doors open at 6pm, and the first game will begin at 7pm.



♥ Houston Roller Derby ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...