Monday, March 19, 2012

Meet HRD Mondays!

It's Monday! That means it's the time of the week for YOU to meet the many faces of HRD and learn a little about the skaters you want to cheer for in 2012!

This Monday, check out Grr Feisty, Jekyll and Heidi and Dutch Destroyer!


Name Grr feisty
Number 60 inches
Team Bayou City Bosses, The Knockouts
Position Blocker, Jammer-in-training
Years Played I’ve been with HRD for a year and a half, and have played on the league for almost 10 months.
Height 5 ft 60 inches!
Occupation Middle school math department head
How did you get into derby? I heard about Houston roller derby the summer of 2010. after attending a bout and doing a little research I decided there was no other option - this is the perfect sport for me.
How did you pick your derby name? My skater name comes from a username I’ve had for over 10 years now (it is a Daria reference) and also the name of my blog, grrfeisty.com. (E before I in this case - trickytricky!)
Likes I LOVE animals [especially dogs, foxes,and owls] and cafe con leche.
Dislikes capital letters.
Favorite thing about derby You can knock a girl down and then high five her 2 seconds later. these women are strong and confident and it's extremely empowering.
Fun Facts Cuban family, I’ve had a pet squirrel, my eyes can vibrate, and I have an addictive relationship with the Internets.



Name Jekyll and Heidi
Number 21
Team Psych Ward Sirens,
Houston All-Stars
Position Anywhere they
let me!
Years Played
This will be
my 6th season
Height 5'6"
Occupation Engagement
Manager
How did you get into 
derby? 
I came to see a friend of
a friend play.
Likes Beer.
Dislikes Olives.
Favorite thing about
derby
All of it!




Name Dutch Destroyer
Number 201
Team The Valkyries
Position Pivot, Blocker
Years Played 3
Height  5'8"
Occupation Mechanical Engineer
How did you get into derby? My neighbor and I decided to try Rec League. She absolutely hated it - the rink stunk, the pads stunk, and her knees hurt...she was done before the end of the first practice but I was hooked!
How did you pick your derby name? Dutch was born because my last name is Dutch and the Netherlands is my favorite country I have visited so far. And the Destroyer bit is just for alliterative flair!
Likes Brown sugar pop-tarts without frosting are the king of pop-tarts.
Dislikes drama, self-importance, chaos. Which reminds me, I love organization...oh, and good beer, cheese, and dogs too.
Favorite thing about derby I love that it's an environment that forces women to look at their bodies differently. Those hips aren't something to hate in the mirror and wish they were smaller, they're a force to be reckoned with! Derby teaches you that your body / size / shape / weight has purpose and is to be appreciated in whatever its format.
Fun Facts I'm a Yankee from Wisconsin, I've been offshore on oil rigs several times, and am constantly working on projects around the house.


Tune in next Monday to see our next set of featured skaters for the week!
Thanks to everyone who came out to our season opener this past Saturday.
Get ready for our next bout April 21 - tickets are already up at our website!
Get Your April 21 Bout Tickets Right Now at Our Website!
Come see the debut of our new home team, The Valkyries as they go up against the Brawlers after the Bayou City Bosses take on Alamo City Rollergirls from San Antonio, TX!



♥ Houston Roller Derby ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...