Monday, July 9, 2012

Meet HRD Mondays!


It's Monday! That means it's the time of the week for YOU to meet the many faces of HRD and learn a little about the skaters you want to cheer for in 2012!

This Monday, check out Sweetie Todd and Mary Choppins!




Name Sweetie Todd
Team The Brawlers
Position  Blocker
Years Played I was drafted in May of 2010
Height 4'11"
Occupation Land Tech
How did you get into derby? I got into Derby by being introduced to it by my co-worker who was a photographer for HRD at the time, Kerry McClain.
How did you choose your derby name? I choose my name because I am a big Johnny Depp fan. I chose (the number) 7 because it looks like a straight razor.
Likes I love sushi and white wine.
Disikes I dislike unpleasant people.
Favorite thing about derby  At this time I have 15 wonder sisters and I love them.
Fun Facts For fun and excitement on my full time job I am a trained HAZ MAT technician, oil field fire fighter, high angle rescuer, and EMT. I have 3 kids all of which are into derby in one form or another. I and I have one grandson who is one of my biggest supporters. I also have a dog named Romo and he's so FLUFFY.



Name Mary Choppins
Number 2112
Team Psych Ward Sirens
Position Blocker
Years Played I've been playing off and on for a few years. I started in Jan 2005 with Houston and really haven't left. My home team was the Psych Ward Sirens. After regionals '08, I retired to go back to school. Since then I've played pick-up games and coach/train the Houston rec team. Now I'm back (as a Psych Ward Siren)!
Height 5'7"
Occupation I'm an admin assistant, student, and super mom!
How did you get into derby? Growing up in the 80's, I was blessed to see these crazy women toss each around on skates on a bank track. I was hooked and had always admired their intense strength in a women. Fast forward to 2004, my roommate moves to Chicago where she tells me that she has join Windy City derby - jealousy and hope sets in, a few months later (Dec '04) on Live Journal a post is sent out about a derby group starting up in Houston ... the rest is history.
How did you pick your derby name? My derby name came from one of my favorite childhood movies, Mary Poppins. She's a classy lady but never took any slack from anyone.
Likes DERBY, 3-legged animals, pinching babies, old people in love, foodies, haircuts, blankets, freshly mowed grass, music, God and my family.
Dislikes Roaches, bad drivers, bullies, and running out of toilet paper ... oh, and forgetting to wash my derby pads.
Favorite thing about derby Kicking ass, camaraderie with the girls, the accomplishments I have defeated, the goals I set for myself, and dealing with failure with my fist to its face!
Fun Facts I don't know how to slow down in life so I tend to forget about the little things ... like washing my derby pads. I have a 3-legged cat. I'm going to school to be a Sign Language Interpreter. One of my kids is named after a Beatles song. I dig comic books. I can quote Clash of the Titans movie ('81 version). When I have a cold and I blow my nose water squirts out of my eye. I have a heart-shaped vein on my upper arm. I just started eating veggies less than a year ago... now I'm nearly vegetarian.


Tune in next Monday to see our next set of featured skaters for the week!


Join us for our fifth bout, July 21!
Come see the Brawlers play against the Spindletop Rollergirls from Beaumont, TX before watching the Psych Ward Sirens and The Valkyries go head to head! Tickets are already available at our website, so go get them now!
Get Your July 21 Bout Tickets Right Now at Our Website!


Special Offer:
*We love our troops! To show our appreciation, Houston Roller Derby GA tickets are $13 for all active military and veterans who present their U.S military ID to the box office on July 21, 2012 (limit 1 ticket per ID). Bouts are held at Bayou Music Center, 520 Texas Avenue in downtown Houston.*

Join your favorite rollergirls for the after party at The Refinery - Burgers & Whiskey (702 W Dallas). The Houston Wave Houston's Jitney Shuttle Service, will be providing free shuttle service to and from the after party. Plus, get to The Refinery before the bout to enjoy burgers, free parking and the Wave's shuttle going to Bayou Place at 6PM. Remember to tip your driver for their donated services!


♥ Houston Roller Derby ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...