Monday, July 16, 2012

Meet HRD Mondays!


It's Monday! That means it's the time of the week for YOU to meet the many faces of HRD and learn a little about the skaters you want to cheer for in 2012!

This Monday, check out Hot dAmity and Betty Watchett!


Name Hot dAmity
Number 442
Team The Brawlers
Position Jammer, Blocker
Years Played Just over a year (rookie with HRD)
Height 4'11"
Occupation RN
How did you get into derby? I love playing sports. Love team sports. I didn't have any friends or family who were really into sports or getting dirty and sweaty. (By the way ...mud volleyball is really fun). I was looking for something to join when I saw an article in the paper on roller derby. I didn't even finish reading the article when I realized this was exactly what I had been looking for. I went to my first practice and loved it. Now I am surrounded by a group of women who I can relate to....yeah!
How did you choose your derby name? My mom and dad were hippies and had to give me one of those unusual names... Amity -it really is in a baby name book. So I wanted to use it some how in my derby name... a fellow derby girl came up with it... thanks to Teetotaler!
Likes I love the outdoors, hiking , camping ( in an RV ) , photography, cupcakes, trying new foods, laughing till it hurts, tornados and spontaneous road trips.
Dislikes Slackers, muffin tops, spiders, roaches, greasy food, and bad drivers ..... I'm from Boston and we don't drive bad, we just know how to drive.
Favorite thing about derby I love playing the game , whether it's jamming or blocking. Pushing myself as hard as I can and being yelled at to do it better.
Fun Facts I have 4 kids. I love being a mom. But my kids call me Nazi Mom, not sure why... I'm so sweet. I am a huge animal and nature lover.  I would pull off the road just to look at a bird in a tree.


Name Betty Watchett
Number 19
Team Bayou City Bosses, Houston All-Stars
Position Pivot, Blocker, Jammer
Years Played 2 years
Height 5'4"
Occupation Administrative Assistant for a Medical Insurance Broker / Full Time Student / Editor-In-Chief of University Newspaper.
How did you get into derby? I don’t really remember how I decided to do derby – I literally woke up one morning and told myself I was going to do it. I looked up derby online and saw that HRD had a rec league and started going. 8 weeks later, I tried out for HRD and a few months after that I was drafted. I lived down the street from a Roller Rink when I was younger and grew up as a rink rat. It wasn’t too long ago that I was skating on in-lines at birthday parties for fun and I’ve played sports all my life – naturally, derby has been the perfect fit for me.
How did you pick your derby name? I really wanted a name that sounded like a threat so after playing with a few words, I came up with my current name, Betty Watchett. Its connotation is supposed to derive from the phrase “better watch it.” A lot of people think it has something to do with Betty White –hehe.
Likes My cat, my family, my boyfriend, skating, food, photography, music, traveling, inspiring, writing, and having a good laugh.
Dislikes Bathing my cat, overly-self-centered people, unnecessary pessimism, bugs, being sick, bad days, and not having enough to do.
Favorite thing about derby Everything about it. Derby is one of the only sports I’ve been able to stick with and really fall in love with. It’s as much of a team sport as it is an individual one and it promotes self growth. It accepts people of all ages, sizes, cultures, and backgrounds. Roller Derby saved my soul and has given me all of the tools I've needed to become a strong, level-headed, confident woman.
Fun Facts I started skating with HRD when I was 18 and was drafted when I was 19 (my number). I just turned 21 this past April. People frequently tell me that I remind them of Ellen Page from Whip It (I still don’t see it). As a hobby I do a lot of photography for bands in the Houston Death Metal scene. I play World of Warcraft (*nerd). I rescued my cat before she was suppose to be put down this past January and she’s the most amazing, fluffy, friendly buddy ever.


Tune in next Monday to see our next set of featured skaters for the week!


Join us for our fifth bout, July 21 next weekend!
Come see the Brawlers play against the Spindletop Rollergirls from Beaumont, TX before watching the Psych Ward Sirens and The Valkyries go head to head! Tickets are already available at our website, so go get them now!
Get Your July 21 Bout Tickets Right Now at Our Website!


Special Offer:
*We love our troops! To show our appreciation, Houston Roller Derby GA tickets are $13 for all active military and veterans who present their U.S military ID to the box office on July 21, 2012 (limit 1 ticket per ID). Bouts are held at Bayou Music Center, 520 Texas Avenue in downtown Houston.*

Join your favorite rollergirls for the after party at The Refinery - Burgers & Whiskey (702 W Dallas). The Houston Wave Houston's Jitney Shuttle Service, will be providing free shuttle service to and from the after party. Plus, get to The Refinery before the bout to enjoy burgers, free parking and the Wave's shuttle going to Bayou Place at 6PM. Remember to tip your driver for their donated services!


Come out to Saint Arnold's Brewery this Thursday, July 19 for a special night event and get a chance to meet some of your favorite roller derby girls up close! This Thursday will be Houston Roller Derby night at Saint Arnold's Brewery from 6-8pm. Tour Admission is $7. Come out and meet the girls at the brewery and then later in the week, come see our bout for a special price and enjoy Saint Arnold during the match!


♥ Houston Roller Derby ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...