Monday, June 11, 2012

Meet HRD Mondays!


It's Monday! That means it's the time of the week for YOU to meet the many faces of HRD and learn a little about the skaters you want to cheer for in 2012!

This Monday, check out Goddess of War and Mary Queen of Skates!



Name Goddess of War
Number 77 Hits
Team The Valkyries
Position Jammer, blocker, overall beast.
Years Played Rookie, just strapped on skates in July.
Height Roughly the same height as your mom.
Occupation Computer technician, professional gamer, and YouTube vlogger.
How did you get into derby? I watched RollerJam religiously on TNT back in '99. I was obsessed with this blade/quad chaos and swore that I would one day move to Cali (that's where it was performed) and be part of this. Eventually this derby hybrid ceased to exist and I went about my life. I was reintroduced to derby at Comicpalooza and promised when I could get work to allow the practice time, I would join. So here I am.
How did you pick your derby name? My derby name is an obvious one to those who game, but for those who lead the unfortunate lives of no gaming the origins come from a killer series "God of War". Kratos is the God of War (not Ares, Kratos killed Ares for the spot) and is my hero, real or not. I am the one and only female Goddess of War and am well known for the costume and body paint.
Likes Horror movies, PlayStation games, comics, Magic the Gathering, costume making, nerdy conventions, high scores, platinum trophies.
Dislikes  Server lag while trying to play online games.
Favorite thing about derby I love the physical aspect of it. It's so challenging, yet so rewarding. I also adore the fact that after hitting someone so hard you hear their spine crack, they get up and high five you.
Fun Facts I was on the PlayStation Network's The Tester Season 2, and am currently running to be Maxim's Gamer Girl!


Name Mary Queen of Skates
Number 1542 AD
Team Bayou City Bosses, The Knockouts
Position Blocker, "wanna-be" pivot
Years Played 3rd season!
Height 5'6"
Occupation Subsea Oil and Gas Project Manager
How did you get into derby? My sister plays banked track derby in Austin. When I moved to Houston, I was looking for something that I could meet people through and that would also keep me from getting too fat.
Likes beer, wine, knitting, baking
Favorite thing about derby Meeting people of all different kinds. No matter what's happening in your life, good or bad, there is always someone on the league who has had a similar experience. I also love the shared goals and camaraderie that comes with training with, organizing, and hanging out with such a large and diverse group of ladies (and gents!).
Fun Facts I can put 10 dimes in my nostrils at the same time.


Tune in next Monday to see our next set of featured skaters for the week!


Thanks to all of our fantastic fans who came out to our bout this past Saturday!
The Knockouts and the All-Stars played two well-played, close games this weekend. Good job ladies!
(Knockouts 87 - Assassination City 128) / (All-Stars 138 - Arch Rival 158)

Join us for our fifth bout, July 21!
Come see the Brawlers play against the Spindletop Rollergirls from Beaumont, TX before watching the Psych Ward Sirens and The Valkyries go head to head! Tickets are already available at our website, so go get them now!
Get Your July 21 Bout Tickets Right Now at Our Website!



♥ Houston Roller Derby ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...